Thursday, October 30, 2008

I guess I am a "do gooder"!

*Note: This is a rant so you might just want to skip it but it was something I felt I wanted to add to my blog.

This all came about because of a large power company wanting to build a coal fired power plant in our little green valley.

Now our little green valley is a lot like many here in Utah. It is surrounded by beautiful mountains on all sides. This can work against us by creating a "bowl" effect. When there is no storm front blowing its way in our air becomes stagnant. It is most noticeable when there is an inversion during the winter. The air gets all dark and dingy. This of course is not good for anyone to breath. Fortunately our air stays relatively clean most of the time and we don't have to worry about it much.

I guess our county commissioners decided a power plant would be awesome to have here...and they decided to place one right next to a little town not 5 miles from where we live. Of course many people did not like this idea...but the county commissioners decided they didn't care what most people thought and gave them the go ahead.

I have to admit that I would rather not have a power plant in my "backyard" for my children to breath. Shane said he thinks it will bring more $$$ to the area but I rather stay poor and have clean air to breath.

The county took away the citizens right to vote to challenge the commissioners decision on the power plant (and anything else we don't like). A group of citizens took it to the Utah Supreme court and they gave the right to vote back to us. It is now on the ballot.

I was on my way home from work in the car when I was bombarded by this horrible mean advertisement made by the power company. They were telling us to vote no on the right to vote on wanting the power plant or not later this year. They said that anyone against the power plant is a "do gooder". The "do gooders" need to just leave the commissioners alone to do the job we elected them to do. If you want the right to vote you are just horrible selfish people and do gooders that have nothing better to do than to get in to business that is not ours to get into. "So don't be a "do gooder". Trust your commissioners to do the job they were elected to do and vote no on proposition 1."

What?

I almost died. It was one of the most blatantly offensive things I have ever heard! It makes me want to fight the power plant when before I was ok with just sitting back and watching things happen. I sure hope their little commercial blows up in their faces by making more than just me mad at them. Just because I rather have the right to vote if the commissioners do something that the majority of the county does not want I am a horrible person? A "do gooder" getting in their way.

There are so many other ways to make clean electricity. Wind, solar, geothermal, water and even nuclear generation is "cleaner" for the environment.

I guess I am not going to be a fence sitter any longer. I am going to go out and get me a sign for my yard as well as be sure to vote yes on the right to vote.

So I guess I am now a "do gooder". For this I will be proud to wear the label!

2 comments:

LisAway said...

Are you kidding? Do they think that advertisement will appeal to ANYONE? I hope it makes EVERYONE feel the way you do and they get kicked out of your little valley on the double!

Heaven forbid people try to do good! I love that there's an offensive term for doing good. A "do-gooder." Oh, so bad.

Anne said...

Wow. That's all I can say.