Yes you read that right. I really and truly am.
I went on accutane for the first time in my life over a year ago. I have always had acne since being a teen. I had tried every prescription they had to offer accept for accutane and was told I could not have it because I was of childbearing age.
I did find a great product called Proactive and as long as I stuck to the regime of applying it twice a day (major drag) I was pretty clear. This lasted for about 4 years. When it suddenly stopped working I just ignored (or tried my best to) my horrid complexion. I just figured it was sort of vain to worry about it so I left it alone.
As I got older I suddenly could see all the damage that leaving it alone was doing...so I tried a new doctor. To my surprise he prescribed accutane. After jumping through all the hoops to be able to take this medication I started with great fear of what it could do to me...but I was so tired of my skin (and it had taken over my back as well) that I didn't care.
To my VERY pleasant surprise I started to dry up. For a person who could supply a small country with the oil I could make in one day this was life changing. I didn't have to wash my hair everyday. In fact I went a whole week once and only washed it because the thought of that was to gross....even though you sure couldn't tell by looking at it.
After 6 months on accutane I was clear as could be and dry as sand! I was in heaven. I had only had a few aches and pains from taking it and they only lasted through the second month. I was afraid of what would happen as my body got rid of the last trace of accutane but I didn't really notice much difference for about 5 months.
Well I am slowly becoming an oil pit again and my face is not looking good. I have had one enormous zit on my forehead for the last weak. It has a life of its own, really, it even has a really painful pulse and it just wont go away.
I am so close to running back to the doctor and begging for a second round that it isn't even funny. I am going to try to just wait it out until next fall/winter so I don't have to avoid the summer sun but I am not to sure I am going to make it.
I want to be all dried out and zit free!
4 comments:
I hear you! I think I only took it for 4 months or so (?) but I loved having dry skin. It was the first time I was able to go without washing my hair for a few days, too. Heaven!
But of course Accutane ruined my back and I actually regret having taken it. Sad story.
I used Proactive, too. I don't remember it working well for me, though. At least I only bought it once. (I think. My memory is so bad).
Now I think my skin is pretty tolerable. I don't have to wipe the oil off a few times a day and I would say it is normal to oily. I get zits, but it's not too bad.
I HATE having to wash my hair every day. I thought once you took acutane you were perfect for life??? I've always wanted to take it!
oooh, look at the Lee sister's all understanding on the oil pit of your face!! :) I took Accutane in 9th grade. I felt like it put me from constant nearly uncountable zits to normal skin like my friends, sometimes getting multiple zits, sometimes none. I DO wish they'd just go away by now though!
It seems like your skin was great at our reunion, is that right after you'd taken it? Funny I must've completely missed this part of you, I certainly don't remember it (and having lived/still somewhat living it I do notice skin...)
Good luck, it IS nice when your skin doesn't demand time and attention...
Post a Comment