In the good old days I used to save up all my pennies from pulling weeds around the yard and walk down to our favorite penny candy store 'Scott's Market'. It was run by the nicest old man and his wife. If Scott's wasn't open or we didn't want to cross the "big road" we would go to Seven Eleven instead. We would spend all our money on candy. How my Mom ever survived 4 kids on constant sugar highs I don't know.
Sadly, as I grew I continued the tradition. Whenever I was out and about I would go get me something sweet to eat.
I got married and my sugar indulgence got worse. Shane is a popaholic and has to get his daily fix. I would go with him to the gas station and get some candy while he got his drink.
As I had babies I couldn't go with him to the store as often but he would always bring me back a Milky Way or something chocolate.
Well as the kids grew we allowed them to start getting a treat each day we went to the store as well. They are now also official sugar fiends like myself (all my doing).
So what does this get us beside the usual pure bliss of taste bud heaven?
It gets lots of fun and pricey *silver sparkles* in my kids mouths almost each time they visit the dentist. It has gotten me three root canals from all the cavities I got as a kid (and I am only 32!) I know for a fact it has helped to add this "fat tire" around my midsection. I also have to much insulin. Each time I eat something sweet my blood sugar shoots up. My body responds by sending out to much insulin. The insulin throws all the sugar into my fat cells (thus the "fat tire") and my blood sugar drops and then I feel like CRAP and want more! HELP!
So is it really worth the taste bud high we get?
I am thinking NO! Time for a change. It might not help my teeth out as the damage is done but maybe it would help my kids in the long run?
Time to wean ourselves from the sugar monster!
1 comment:
Ha! I didn't realize that you were addicted to candy, too! I wrote a post about it back in April about how I spent all my money on candy at either Bingo or Scott's. Good times.
I have found that it IS possible to live without candy! I went for about two years on a no chocolate or candy diet, except in baked form. So I could eat cookies and brownies, but no straight sugar. Those were the days when I was my thinnest (It was before I got pregnant with Aaron, maybe 2003-2005 or 6) Now I'm in a slump and I still let myself eat chocolate, but I DO stay away from regular sugar candy. I wish you the best in your candy free endeavors!!
Post a Comment