Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Moms Chocolate Chip Cookies! (For Lisa)

2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 12oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 375°. Mix shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla, salt and soda together with blender. Add flour and stir in well. Add chocolate chips and nuts (optional) and stir in well. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. (I never grease mine and they are just fine) Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Cool slightly before removing from baking sheet. Makes 7 dozen.


I have found that using a few different things really helps to make your cookies very rich.

1. Use real butter.
2. Use dark brown sugar.
3. Use milk chocolate chips not semi-sweet. My favorite is the Girardelli's milk chocolate chips.
4. Use real vanilla extract.

I also pull them from the oven a little earlier than the recipe states so they are super soft. We also like to pop day old cookies (if they last that long) into the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds to warm them back up. This way they taste fresh from the oven again. Yum!

3 comments:

Grzesiek Pawlik said...

My wish is your command, I see! Thanks Carlynn! I'm definittely making these. We don't exactly have shortening here, but there's something similar I may try, or I'll just use all butter. Yum!

I always just make like two batches and then refrigerate the rest of the dough and bake some fresh whenever we want some. If I bake them all up I will seriously eat them all in one day. I'm not exaggerating. I could eat 40 cookies if they were sitting there during the day. Probably more.

Grzesiek Pawlik said...

Oops, Grzegorz didn't say that. Your blog lies! I said it! Lisa! I'm on his computer and I didn't think to check the name. Oops. Thanks again for posting this recipe!

LisAway said...

I made a half batch of these today with all butter. They're so great! I'm sure they look nicer and have a little different texture with shortening, but these were perfectly chewy and crisp on the edges. So good! And I agree about everything on your list, except the vanilla, but that's only because they don't sell it here and I've never had the chance to gain a testimony of it, but I'm sure I would if I had access to it. And I also love butter flavor shortening over plain. It's probably loaded with a lot of gross stuff, but it sure makes stuff taste great.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe! I'll be making it again. And I'm telling Anne about it because I think it's the makes the kind of CCC she's looking for.