Sunday, July 13, 2008

What is crying good for?

I love crying. What is crying good for? Lets list them shall we?

1. Helps make your nose so stuffy you cannot breath through it, or, if you are incredibly lucky, it just runs like a river during and after your cry.

2. Makes your eyes turn a beautiful shade of red that lasts and lasts. It might even be mistaken for pink eye if your lucky!

3. It gives you one of those awesome headaches that have Excedrin written all over it.

4. It just makes you feel crappy (I mean great)!

OK... So I hate crying as you can see. It is a weakness I try my best to not indulge in. I refuse to watch all those "chick flicks" out there that some women watch just for a good cry. (Gluttons for punishment?) If I hurt myself I just swear and jump up and down really hard to avoid the tears. If I am caught in a sad situation (funeral etc.) I do my best to put my mind someplace else so I don't succumb to the sadness enough to cry.

Times when it is good to cry (or I can't seem to help it)? That is easy. If my kids get hurt...I cry. If they are emotional from bad things that happen at school I cry. My daughter went in to get her tonsils out....I bawled like a baby. Thank goodness Shane had left to pick up her meds or he would have died of embarrassment.

And my most favorite reason to cry that just can't be helped???

Tooth Pain!

I rather give birth several times a day than have tooth pain.

I was lucky enough to have a root canal on one of my top molars a year and a half ago. I could never understand why people were scared of the dentist until I had this experience. To make a long story short I had two infections with this tooth during the root canal and I even bawled at the Dentist’s office when they went in to "open it back up" to let the pressure out without a shot first. (Humiliating to say the least) I had to change antibiotics twice because they made me throw up so much I could hold nothing down including the Lortab for the pain. Not good.

When they finally got me all done and sent me home I could still feel my tooth. Ok...not normal I know ( I even saw the nerve the doc pulled out so I know it was no longer in my tooth) but hot and cold still hurt like crazy. I could not chew on that side of my mouth because it hurt. Was I going back to the dentist to tell him this...? HECK NO! I decided I was going to ignore it...drink room temp drinks and not chew on that side of my mouth. I didn't go back to get a cap on it either because I was scared of more pain. This seemed to work well for a year and a half.

Well a few days ago I got a toothache from you know where. Just my luck the Dentist office was closed. I still had about 5 Lortab from my root canal so I lived on those until I could get in a few days later. They took an x-ray and sure enough the same dang tooth is infected AGAIN! The last few days have been PAIN galore. Yep...you guessed it...I even bawled like a baby the other night when it was at its worst and two Lortab didn't even touch the pain. Luckily the antibiotics are now finally kicking in and shutting down most of the pain. I can survive on ibuprofen again but I have to go get my tooth worked on again. This time up in the big city. They have to do another root canal on it (from the top through the gums). The dentist thinks I might have a branched canal or something else that caused my first root canal to fail.

So I expect a lot of crying in the near future due to some great tooth pain. Boy am I excited. I will be keeping the Excedrin (or Lortab), Visine and tissues handy for the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will even go out and rent a few "chick flicks" and kill two birds with one stone.

1 comment:

LisAway said...

Oh my gosh, Carlynn. My stomach is tied in knots from stress after reading this. I HATE having heavy duty tooth work and the worst I've ever had was the removal of a very nasty wisdom tooth. I almost threw up during the procedure. I can't IMAGINE what you have gone through. I hope this time will be better than you anticipate. Man. I really feel bad for you. And my stomach really hurts!

And I think you and I have the same crying issue. I hate the girls at church or wherever who can cry, and as soon as they stop you can't tell that they were crying at all, besides a little sniffle. My face stays red for ages. Ugh.